- Lack of enriching opportunities during out-of-school time
- Programs that provide after-school services, including literacy focus include Boys and Girls Clubs and your local YMCA
- Strategies are needed to address students/schools with the most critical needs.
- Increase after-school programming and parental involvement programs ensuring that learning activities link to classroom activities
- Develop regionwide performance measurement and evaluation system for services across the lifespan
- Young people spend only 20% of their time in school; how they spend the remaining 80% of their time impacts their learning.
- Libraries serve an important purpose in the community and especially in the K-12 landscape.
- Libraries serve, and are not just a source of literacy services. They are also a safe place to go after school.
Information taken from the Literacy 2030 Midlands Needs Assessment, 2012.
- Reading, writing, and communication continuums demonstrating approximate expected milestones for readers (BCH)
- "Portrait" of readers and writers by age (BCH)
- Key benchmark books by level
- Tips for families on how to foster literacy, by age (BCH)
Grade Level Programs
- Grade Level Programs
Extracted from the Promising Practices Guide, which provides programs and best practices for different demographics of library programs around the state
- Programs that use partners for grade level reading highlighted - examples include police, doctors, hospitals, churches, and schools
- South Carolina State Library: A great resource for local and state grant research.
- American Library Association: ALA not gives grants of its own, but it also links to federal grants, including Gates, IMLS, National Endowment for Humanities, OCLC, and more.
- Grants.gov: A centralized location to find and apply for federal funding opportunities. The system houses information on over 1,000 grant programs and vets applications for 26 federal grant-making agencies.
- Scholastic Grants: A frequently updated listing of public and private library grants that support library programs and initiatives that help young people.
- K-12 Grants: Financial awards available for U.S. schools, continuously updated by THEJournal.com.
- Finding the Funds: Renaissance Learning provides valuable advice on writing grants for educational initiatives, plus a comprehensive list of funding opportunities.
- LibraryWorks: A variety of time-sensitive and ongoing grant opportunities for libraries.
- IMLS Services: The Institute of Museum and Library Services offers a searchable database of grants available for libraries across the United States.